Declaring a Major, Minor & Certificate
Students who choose to pursue a PCSB major, minor, or certificate will develop fluency in accountancy, finance, management, marketing, operations, strategy, global business, and business ethics along the way. Our curriculum prepares students to step into roles in a variety of careers.
All future and current students interested in pursuing a major in business (accountancy, finance, management, or marketing) should review the guidelines for admission to the School of Business carefully here.
Process for Declaring a Business Major:
This process is for current PC students, including undeclared, who are not business majors.
PC students in good academic standing and meet the PCSB minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, who are interested in pursuing one of the business majors, accountancy, finance, management, or marketing, are eligible to declare a business major. Students must declare by the end of their sophomore year.
The following steps must be successfully completed in order to declare a business major.
1. Register for a mandatory PCSB declaration of major information session:
Spring 2018 Semester
Wednesday, February 21 – 4:30-5:30pm Accountancy, Finance, or Management
Wednesday, February 28 – 5:30-7:30pm Marketing ONLY
Tuesday, April 24 – 5:00-6:00pm Accountancy, Finance, or Management
Because of limited seating, students must register in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The student’s name, preferred session date, class year, current major, and intended business major should be included in the email. Students should also indicate if they plan to study abroad and which semester they plan to study abroad. The PCSB will accept registrations up until each session is full. Once all sessions for that semester are full, students must wait until the following semester to attend a PCSB declaration of major session and declare a business major.
All PCSB students are required to demonstrate proficiency in finite math. As a result, all new business students must complete the ALEKS mathematics assessment at an 80% mastery level.
2. Once registered for an information session, students need to:
- Submit their change of major request by logging into CyberFriar.
- Review a copy of the “what-if” degree audit from CyberFriar for their chosen business major. Tip: The following tutorial, How to Generate a What-If Degree Audit, may be helpful. Students will review a suggested 4-year plan of study during the declaration session.
3. After the PCSB declaration of major information session:
- The PCSB Undergraduate Program Office will review the plan of study program plans and, if approved, will submit approval of the change of major.
- Confirmation of a student’s major change and new assigned advisor will be sent to his or her PC email address. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of the change of major.
Note: A student must be a declared business major to be eligible for PCSB preregistration. Only students who attend the PCSB declaration of major information session are eligible to change their major to one of the business majors. Please note that these sessions are available a limited number of times per semester.
Process for Adding or Changing a Business Major*:
This process is for any current PC business major.
Current PCSB majors in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to add or change majors within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
1. Students need to submit their request to add or change their business major by logging into CyberFriar. The PCSB Undergraduate Program Office will complete a suggested plan of study for the new business major. Please allow 1-2 weeks for this process.
2. The PSCB Undergraduate Program Office will contact students via their PC email when the plan of study is ready. Students will need to schedule an appointment with the chairperson of the proposed new/double major department (ACC, FIN, MGT, or MKT) within 2 weeks for review and approval.The department chair will have the change of major paperwork.
3. If students are adding/changing from one business major to another business major, they will also need to have their current department chairperson sign the PCSB Academic Program Adjustment form.
4. After meeting with the department chair, students should bring their suggested plan of study and the PCSB Academic Program Adjustment form to the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in 135 Ryan Center. Paperwork will be processed by the office. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks after meeting with the chair for confirmation of their addition/change of major.
Note: It is not mandatory to make an appointment with the student’s former advisor regarding their addition/change of business major declaration.
Process for First Years Changing Majors:
Any first year business major who wants to change his/her major within the School of Business may submit his/her request to the PCSB Undergraduate Office by the end of the first week of classes each semester. After the first week of classes, the School of Business will not process any requests to change majors within the School of Business (e.g. ACC, FIN, MGT, MKT) until the next semester. Requests to change to a non-business major will be processed on an ongoing basis within PC guidelines.
Process for Declaring an Accountancy or Finance Minor:
This process is for any current PC student.
Current PC students in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to declare a minor within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
1. Submit their minor declaration request by logging into CyberFriar.
2. Print out the PCSB Academic Program Adjustment form or obtain the form in the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in 135 Ryan Center.
3. Print out a degree audit from CyberFriar. The following tutorial is helpful on How to Generate a Degree Audit.
4. Make an appointment with the department chair of the intended minor to obtain the signature for approval to declare the minor. Students should bring their degree audit and PCSB Academic Program Adjustment form to the meeting. Once approved, the department chair will sign the program adjustment form.
5. Bring the PCSB Academic Program Adjustment form to the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in Ryan 135 for processing. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of the declaration.
Process to Apply for the Business Studies Certificate Program:
This process is for non-business majors.
The Business Studies Certificate Program curriculum is in the process of being re-designed.
Students should contact the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in Ryan Center 135 for information on the Business Studies Certificate Program application process and curriculum.