Declaring a Major, Minor & Certificate
Students who choose to pursue a PCSB major, minor, or certificate will develop fluency in accountancy, finance, management, marketing, operations, strategy, global business, and business ethics along the way. Our curriculum prepares students to step into roles in a variety of careers.
All future and current students interested in pursuing a major in business (accountancy, finance, management, or marketing) should review the guidelines for admission to the School of Business carefully here.
Process for Declaring a Business Major:
This process is for current PC students, including undeclared, who are not business majors.
PC students in good academic standing (2.5 GPA and above) who are interested in pursuing one of the business majors, accountancy, finance, management, or marketing, are eligible to declare a business major. Students must declare by the end of their sophomore year.
The following steps must be successfully completed in order to declare a business major.
1. Register for a mandatory PCSB declaration of major information session:
Fall 2017 Semester*
Wednesday, September 27 – 5:00-7:00pm (Marketing ONLY)
*Additional PCSB Declaration Session dates for Fall 2017 semester will be forthcoming.
Because of limited seating, students must register in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The student’s name, preferred session date, current major, and intended business major should be included in the email. Students should also indicate if they plan to study abroad and which semester they plan to study abroad. The PCSB will accept registrations up until each session is full. Once all sessions for that semester are full, students must wait until the following semester to attend a PCSB declaration of major session and declare a business major.
2. Once registered for an information session, students should:
- Review a copy of the “what-if” degree audit from CyberFriar for their chosen business major. Tip: The following tutorial, How to Generate a What-If Degree Audit, may be helpful. Students will review a suggested 4-year plan of study during the declaration session.
- Students whose current major is a non-business major other than undeclared will need to obtain signatures on the Academic Program Adjustment form to sign out of their current major. Student athletes will also need to obtain signatures from their athletic advisor. The signed form will need to be brought to the declaration of major session.
3. After the PCSB declaration of major information session:
- The PCSB Undergraduate Program Office will review the plan of study program plans and, if approved, will submit the student’s declaration of major form to the Office of Enrollment Services and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies.
- The academic advising office will sign undeclared students out of the undeclared program and notify the previous advisor of the change.
- Confirmation of a student’s major change and new assigned advisor will be sent to his or her PC email address. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of the change of major.
Note: A student must be a declared business major to be eligible for PCSB preregistration. Only students who attend the PCSB declaration of major information session are eligible to change their major to one of the business majors. Please note that these sessions are available a limited number of times per semester.
Process for Adding or Changing a Business Major*:
This process is for any current PC business major.
Current PCSB majors in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to add or change majors within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
1. Students need to submit their request to add or change their business major through the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in 135 Ryan Center during the hours of 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday-Friday. The PCSB Undergraduate Program Office will have students complete an Academic Program Adjustment form and a cover sheet with information so that a suggested plan of study for their new business major can be completed. Please allow 1-2 weeks for this process.
2. The PSCB Undergraduate Program Office will contact students via their PC email when their plan of study is ready. Students will need to schedule an appointment with the chairperson of the proposed new/double major department (ACC, FIN, MGT, or MKT) for review and approval. The department chair will have their change of major paperwork.
3. If students are changing from one business major to another business major, they will also need to have their current department chairperson sign the Academic Program Adjustment form to drop their current major.
4. After meeting with the department chair, students should bring their suggested plan of study and Academic Program Adjustment form to the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in 135 Ryan Center. Paperwork will be processed by the office and submitted to Enrollment Services for processing. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks after meeting with the chair for confirmation of their addition/change of major.
Note: It is not mandatory to make an appointment with the student’s former advisor regarding their addition/change of business major declaration.
Process for First Years Changing Majors:
Any first year business major who wants to change his/her major within the School of Business may submit his/her request to the PCSB Undergraduate Office by the end of the first week of classes each semester. After the first week of classes, the School of Business will not process any requests to change majors within the School of Business (e.g. ACC, FIN, MGT, MKT) until the next semester. Requests to change to a non-business major will be processed on an ongoing basis within PC guidelines.
Process for Declaring an Accountancy or Finance Minor:
This process is for any current PC student.
Current PC students in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to declare a minor within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
1. Print out a degree audit from CyberFriar. The following tutorial is helpful on How to Generate a Degree Audit.
2. Print out the academic program adjustment form or obtain the form in the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in 135 Ryan Center.
3. The student needs to obtain the signature of their major department chair/designee on the academic program adjustment form for approval to declare the minor.
4. Once students have completed the steps above, they should make an appointment with the department chair of the intended minor. Students should bring their degree audit and academic program adjustment form to the meeting. Once approved, the department chair will sign the academic program adjustment form.
5. Bring the academic program adjustment form to Enrollment Services in Harkins 310 for processing. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of the declaration.
Process to Apply for the Business Studies Certificate Program:
This process is for non-business majors.
The Business Studies Certificate Program curriculum is in the process of being re-designed. First-year students should check back in fall 2017 for updated information.
Current sophomores and juniors should contact the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office in Ryan Center 135 for information on the Business Studies Certificate Program application process and curriculum.