Declaring a Major or Minor
Students who choose to pursue a PCSB major or minor will develop fluency in accountancy, finance, management, marketing, operations, strategy, global business, and business ethics along the way. Our curriculum prepares students to step into roles in a variety of careers.
All future and current students interested in pursuing a major in business (accountancy, finance, management, or marketing) should review the guidelines for admission to the School of Business carefully here.
Process for Declaring a Business Major:
This process is for current PC students, including undeclared, who are not business majors.
PC students in good academic standing and meet the PCSB minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA, who are interested in pursuing one of the business majors, accountancy, finance, management, or marketing, are eligible to declare a business major. Students must declare by the end of their sophomore year.
Students must submit their request to declare a business major by registering for a mandatory PCSB declaration of major session. Session dates are listed below:
PCSB Declaration Sessions
The PCSB will accept registrations up until each session is full. Once all sessions for that semester are full, students must wait until the following semester to attend a PCSB declaration of major session and declare a business major. A student must be a declared business major to be eligible for PCSB preregistration. Only students who attend the PCSB declaration of major information session are eligible to change their major to one of the business majors. Please note that these sessions are available a limited number of times per semester.
All first-year PCSB students are required to demonstrate proficiency in finite math. As a result, all first-year new business students must complete the ALEKS mathematics assessment at an 90% mastery level prior to attending a declaration session. Students will receive information on accessing the ALEKS assessment after registering for a declaration session.
Process for Adding or Changing a Business Major*:
This process is for any current PC business major.
Current PCSB majors in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to add or change majors within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
1. Students need to submit their request to add or change their business major by emailing their request and Change of Major/Minor form to the PCSB Undergraduate Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. The PCSB Undergraduate Program Office will complete a suggested plan of study for the new business major. Please allow 1-2 weeks for this process.
2. The PSCB Undergraduate Program Office will contact students via their PC email when the plan of study is ready. Students will need to schedule an appointment with the PCSB Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising for review and email approval.
3. Students will be responsible for submitting email approval and Change of Major/Minor form to the Office of the Registar at email@example.com to process the change of major. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of their addition/change of major.
Note: It is not mandatory to make an appointment with the student’s former advisor regarding their addition/change of business major declaration.
Process for First Years Changing Majors:
Any first year business major who wants to change his/her major within the School of Business may submit his/her request to the PCSB Undergraduate Program Office by the end of the first week of classes each semester. After the first week of classes, the School of Business will not process any requests to change majors within the School of Business (e.g. ACC, FIN, MGT, MKT) until the next semester. Requests to change to a non-business major will be processed on an ongoing basis within PC guidelines.
Process for Declaring an Accountancy or Finance Minor:
This process is for any current PC student.
Current PC students in good academic standing (2.0 GPA and above), who want to declare a minor within the School of Business must follow the steps below.
2. The PCSB Undergraduate Office will contact the student to make an appointment with the PCSB Assistant Director of Undergraduate Advising to discuss and obtain email approval to declare the minor.
3. Students will be responsible for submitting email approval and Change of Major/Minor form to the Office of the Registar at firstname.lastname@example.org to process the change. Students are responsible for checking their records in CyberFriar within one to two weeks for confirmation of the declaration.
Process for Declaring a Marketing Minor (open to non-business majors only):
The Providence College marketing minor enables students from the School of Arts & Sciences and School of Professional Studies to acquire new marketing communication skills and gain a greater understanding of the connections between the liberal arts and business. The minor complements various non-business majors by creating pathways for students to bridge their main academic focus in liberal arts or professional studies with the business world.
Follow this link for additional information on the minor and the process to declare.