PC MBA Internships in the Sporting World

Providence College School of Business MBA students often have internship experiences that expand their professional skills and networks.  But it is hard to match the excitement of interning at a professional sports organization.  Read on to see what it is like to work with the Cleveland Browns, Major League Baseball, and the German Ice Federation. 

Sam Fox ’22 MBA 
Cleveland Browns 
Training Camp Operations Intern 

What led you to intern with the Cleveland Browns? 

In the Fall of 2019, I was afforded the opportunity to interview my future supervisor Bryant Swindle, director of team logistics with the Browns. Through this interview, I learned about his role and how his department relied on interns during training camp.  After keeping in touch over the winter, I was offered a position in the spring of 2020 as a summer operations intern. The pandemic drastically changed the way NFL teams operated training camps which caused my internship to be cancelled along with many others. Fortunately, the setback was not permanent and Bryant and Chavis, the coordinator of team logistics, offered me the position again this past summer. 

Describe your internship and what your main role was within the business?  

As a team operations and logistics intern, my role revolved around the successful operations of training camp. That meant working with virtually every department in the organization. From video, to equipment, and even community relations and corporate partnerships, I worked closely with many different departments to help them run a smooth training camp. Additionally, I worked in the operations department coordinating friend and family training camp visits, shuttling players to and from the facility, and editing travel and hotel manifests for our preseason games. My flexibility and desire to learn from coworkers in other departments made this experience rewarding. 

What was a highlight of the internship and/or what was a surprising or cool experience you had during your internship? 

One highlight of my internship was my trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Our owners attended Peyton Manning’s Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, and I was tasked with picking up their credentials prior to the event. When my supervisor sent me to Canton, he also handed me a ticket for the Hall of Fame and told me to take my time. I spent several hours touring and speaking with staff members. I have worked events with the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of the Fame in the past and am passionate about sports history. This opportunity particularly stood out as the highlight of my experience, and it is something that I will always be thankful for.  

Are there any new skills that you developed while you were at the worksite and what are they? 

One skillset which I further developed over the course of my internship was event management. Regardless of if it was a simple task like setting up meeting rooms or a more highly involved event like hosting another team’s practice or preseason game, the processes and requirements remain similar.  Planning, teamwork, and communication are all essential skills in effectively executing events and are skills that I continued to develop while in Cleveland. Being a part of these events and learning how Bryant and Chavis handled them will greatly benefit me in my graduate assistant position in athletics as we welcome fans back at our events this year.  

What was one of the biggest takeaways or lessons you learned from this experience? 

The biggest lesson I took away from my experience with the Browns was how important it is to be a perfectionist when working in operations. Planning a trip for yourself or a small number of people is much different than coordinating every detail for a group of 200. My supervisor was meticulous about each detail of team travel, and his staff was equally detail-oriented in ensuring there were no discrepancies. Watching NFL games is now a different experience as I think about the work and diligence required to coordinate events like these. 

Can you tell me about one way your supervisor made your internship a great one or about a training program at your internship that was helpful? 

One way in which my supervisors enhanced my experience was actually going through the exit interview process. I had the opportunity to sit down with Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, vice president of football operations. Speaking with Kwesi was a great opportunity for me because he has had such a unique career path. He began his career on Wall Street as a portfolio manager and commodities trader, before breaking into the NFL. Speaking with Kwesi helped me to realize how many skills I’ve developed working in athletic marketing at PC translate to many different jobs in and outside of the sports industry. He also grew up watching Friars basketball legend God Shammgod, so it was great having someone to talk PC basketball with. I was fortunate enough to enjoy similar experiences with Bryant, Chavis, and many of my coworkers, and cannot wait to reconnect with them when the Browns visit New England later this season. 

Bobby D’Armiento ’21, ’22 MBA 
Major League Baseball 
Gaming and Business Ventures Intern

What led you to intern with the MLB? 

I had always had a passion for the sport of baseball between playing and watching when I was younger, so I decided to apply to their internship program. I had applied in December of 2020 and didn’t hear back until a week before graduation when they asked to interview me. I ended up doing the interview and getting the offer a few days later. 

My internship was in the business development department on a team called Gaming and New Business Ventures. The main purpose of the team was to find new ways to drive revenue to the MLB, mainly through sports betting and fantasy sports. My main role was organizing licensing agreements between the sports betting partners and the MLB, coming up with new and creative ways to bring in revenue, and building a model that displayed the revenue coming in through the sports betting partners. 

The highlight of the internship was going into the office that is basically brand new. The internship itself was remote, but I was able to go in one day and experience life in the office. Everyone that I met with all had interesting careers at the MLB and were willing to share their knowledge on the industry as well. 

I would say the biggest skills I developed even more were time management and Excel. The turnaround time on projects forced me to manage my time even better than before, while also producing quality work. In addition, I used Excel a decent amount throughout the internship, with some of the projects having used parts of Excel I had never experienced before. 

One of the biggest lessons I learned from the experience was to not sell myself short. When I initially applied, I thought that there was no chance I would get the position since the MLB is such a prestigious place to work. However, my hard work and dedication at a top college allowed me to get the position and thrive there for a summer. As I continue onto my job search, I will keep that lesson in mind. 

My supervisor, Casey Brett, was an absolute pleasure to work for and with this summer. He would check-in daily to make sure everything was going well and made it possible for me to make it into the office that one day. He made me feel like more than just an intern and as if I was part of the team full-time. From the start he allowed me to sit in on meetings with partners and some teams of the MLB and allowed me to get the full experience while I was working remotely and he was in the office.

Sandra Abstreiter ’21, ’22 MBA
German Ice Hockey Federation (DEB)
Marketing & Events/Projects Intern

What led you to intern with the German Ice Hockey Federation? 

Since I play hockey and am part of the German Women’s National Team, I wanted to learn a little bit about the behind-the-scenes of what is going on in an office that works with hockey. As I player, I always assumed that not much went on in the offices during the off season (summer), but once I asked about the internship, they were excited to have an intern because there is always much work. I also wanted to experience a job in sports management/marketing as I can see myself doing that after I graduate or after I am done playing, as a way to stay connected with sports.  

My main role was being an assistant in the marketing department. I helped with creating content for social media and the kids club by cutting and editing videos, writing articles, and researching ideas. I also helped with the organization of upcoming tournaments which included reaching out to other teams and to hotels, doing announcer briefings, and making sure everything would run smoothly.  

Overall, it was really interesting to experience what happens behind-the-scenes and how much goes into the organization of one tournament. Usually I am in the role where I just show up to the tournament and everything is already organized. It just seems everything is running automatically around it. Through my internship I learned just how many people and how much work actually is required to make a tournament run smoothly.  

Some of the content for the kids club was videos, so I learned how to cut and edit them after we recorded them. This quickly became my responsibility because no one else knew how to do it well and I taught myself how to do it in a way that was perfect for the website.  

My biggest takeaway is that I discovered that I really enjoy working in small groups as everything is a lot more personal. There was a total of 5 people in the marketing department which made us all work collaboratively on many of the projects. Showing someone your idea and getting feedback from them helps master a project faster and better because you are able to consider different inputs and points of view.  

My supervisor would always give me a lot of feedback, both positive and negative. He told me when something he asked me for needed some more work, but he also let me know when I did something well.  

Are you interested in hiring a PCSB student for your company’s internship? Learn more about the processsign up as an employer in Handshake, or contact Laura Pellecchia, associate director of internships at lpellecc@providence.edu or 401-865-2458 for more information. 

Learn more about Providence College School of Business programs, including the PC MBAMS in Business Analytics, and graduate certificate programs, such as the Graduate Certificate in Sports Management

Written by Emily Fusco ’21, ’22MBA